How It Works
Skin rejuvenation treatments with JUVÉDERM® are quick, simple, comfortable, and non-surgical. The procedure will have you looking and feeling instantly refreshed. The treatment administered by your cosmetic doctor involves subtle and strategically placed JUVÉDERM® injections under the skin to restore and boost individual facial features.
It will add volume and definition to facial features while keeping your appearance looking natural, symmetrical, and well-balanced. Whether you are interested in enhancing facial features or refreshing and rejuvenating your appearance, JUVÉDERM® can be used to:
- Soften smile lines
- Restore lost fullness in your cheeks
- Enhance lips
- Contour your jaw line
The treatment is comfortable thanks to the patented formulation of JUVÉDERM® XC (extra comfort) that includes lidocaine – a localized pain reliever. After the treatment, the appearance of lines on your face will be reduced, your lips will appear fuller and more defined, and your cheeks plump. You will leave looking naturally refreshed - so that everyone will notice, but no one will know!
Depending on what you want to accomplish, this simple treatment can be used for many different purposes. It can be used as a wrinkle filler, reducing the appearance of wrinkles and creases. It can also be used to restore volume in the cheeks and chin area and to enhance features such as lips and cheeks.
Refresh and Rejuvenate
JUVÉDERM® can instantly refresh and rejuvenate your appearance by smoothing unwanted lines, restoring natural contours and replacing lost cheek volume. JUVÉDERM® is placed beneath wrinkles and folds to 'fill in' or 'plump up' the depression. The most appropriate lines to treat with JUVÉDERM® are those that are described as static lines you can see when your face is not moving (like smile lines). The most commonly treated areas include smile lines (or nasolabial folds), mouth lines (or marionette lines), smoker lines (or vertical lip lines), cheeks or chin.
JUVÉDERM® injections can also be used as facial fillers to enhance some of your facial features, such as lips and cheeks. With subtle and strategically-placed injections, JUVÉDERM® will contour and define lips and cheeks, at the same time keeping your appearance natural-looking, symmetrical and well-balanced.
JUVÉDERM® is an effective, non-surgical option for refreshing your appearance. Currently, there are several varieties of facial fillers on the market, but the patented formulation in JUVÉDERM® offers you the following facial rejuvenation benefits:
- Smooth, natural looking results.
JUVÉDERM® contains smooth consistency gel. The smooth formulation of JUVÉDERM® provides results that look and feel very natural.
- Clinically proven to last up to a year with a single treatment.†1
- Comfortable treatment experience.
JUVÉDERM® contains lidocaine — an effective localized pain reliever. This formulation provides a gentle injection experience, so you can feel greater comfort during and after treatment.
- Immediate results.
JUVÉDERM® provides an instant improvement in the areas treated. Most patients require only one treatment to achieve optimal wrinkle smoothing or volume enhancement.†
- Quick and easy procedure.
Unlike a face lift, JUVÉDERM® is a non-surgical, healthcare professional-administered treatment that can generally be performed in only 15 to 60 minutes (depending on the areas treated) with minimal recovery or downtime.
- Reversible and biodegradable.
A further advantage of JUVÉDERM® is that the treatment is reversible. If you don't like the results, you can return to your pre-filler appearance. HA fillers are biodegradable, meaning the gel breaks down over time and disappears, unnoticed, from your body.
- Proven effective.
JUVÉDERM® has been approved by Health Canada and is also the first HA facial filler that has demonstrated effectiveness in persons of colour.
† single treatment=meaning one injection and optional top-up at 14 days, for up to 12 months.
1 Applies to JUVÉDERM® Ultra and JUVÉDERM® Ultra Plus.
- Pinsky, M., Thomas, J., Murphy, D. and Walker, P. JUVÉDERM® Injectable Gel: A Multicenter, Double-Blind,
Randomized Study of Safety and Effectiveness. Aesthetic Surg. 2008;28:17–23.
- Allemann, I. and Baumann, L. Hyaluronic acid gel (JUVÉDERM®) preparations in the treatment of facial
wrinkles and folds. Clinical Interventions in Aging 2008:3(4) 629–634.
- Grimes PH, Thomas JA, Murphy DK. Safety and effectiveness of hyaluronic acid fillers in skin of color.
J Cosmet Dermatol. 2009;8:162-168.
Safety & Side Effects
JUVÉDERM® is a family of dermal facial filler products. They are made with hyaluronic acid (HA), a naturally occurring sugar found in your body. It combines with water in your skin to help smooth out facial lines and wrinkles, enhance lips and restore lost volume to cheeks and the jawline.
JUVÉDERM® REFINE® is used for filling superficial skin depressions. JUVÉDERM® FORMA® is used for filling deep facial wrinkles or depressions, lip enhancement and cheekbone augmentation. JUVÉDERM® ULTRA™ and ULTRA™ XC are used for filling medium-size wrinkles and depressions of the skin, and lip definition. JUVÉDERM® ULTRA PLUS™ and ULTRA PLUS™ XC is used for medium and deep wrinkles or depressions of the skin, volume increase, and pouting of the lips. JUVÉDERM® VOLUMA® and VOLUMA® with lidocaine are used to restore volume to the cheek and the jawline. JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA® with lidocaine is used for enhancement and pouting of the lips to correct volume loss.
Before you decide on a treatment with JUVÉDERM®, you'll want to find a qualified aesthetic healthcare professional — someone familiar with JUVÉDERM® products and the injection process. You can use our simple doctor locator tool to find an experienced aesthetic professional near you.
If you're considering wrinkle treatments with JUVÉDERM®, your healthcare professional should ask about your medical history to determine if you are an appropriate candidate for treatment.
JUVÉDERM® should not be used in patients who:
- Have severe allergies marked by a history of anaphylaxis or a history or presence of multiple severe allergies,
- Have a history of allergies to lidocaine or Gram-positive bacterial proteins,
- Scar frequently,
- Are hypersensitive to HA, or
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding.
JUVÉDERM® products are not approved for use in children, and the safety and efficacy of JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA® with lidocaine has not been established in patients under the age of 21 years.
You and your healthcare professional should discuss the following important treatment considerations in order to help avoid unsatisfactory results and complications:
- Patients who are using medications that can prolong bleeding, such as aspirin or ibuprofen, may experience increased bruising or bleeding at the injection site (as with any injection). You should inform your healthcare professional before treatment if you are using these types of substances.
- If laser treatments, chemical peels, or any other procedure based on active dermal response is considered after treatment with JUVÉDERM®, there is a possible risk of an inflammatory reaction at the treatment site.
- JUVÉDERM® should be used with caution in patients on immunosuppressive therapy, or therapy used to decrease the body's immune response, as there may be an increased risk of infection.
- The safety of JUVÉDERM® for use during pregnancy, while breastfeeding, or in patients under the age of 18 years, has not been established.
- The safety of JUVÉDERM® in patients with a history of excessive scarring (e.g., hypertrophic scarring and keloid formations) and pigmentation disorders has not been studied.
In addition, it is important for you to inform your doctor:
- If you have an ongoing skin infection in the area to be treated,
- If you have recently had other skin surface treatments, or have previously used fillers,
- If you are currently taking any medications, including anticoagulants, aspirin, or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs,
- If you have an autoimmune disease, allergies, or a history of streptococcal infection or rheumatic fever,
- If you have epilepsy, porphyria, or heart disease, or
- If you are hypersensitive to lidocaine or other local anaesthetics, as JUVÉDERM® products containing lidocaine may not be appropriate for you.
JUVÉDERM® is generally well tolerated. Potential side effects associated with JUVÉDERM® products include redness and swelling at the injection site which may be associated with itching and pain on pressure to the area, occurring after injection. These reactions may occur immediately or may be delayed, and may last for up to a week. Injection of JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA® with lidocaine into the mucous membrane (lining) of the lip may cause swelling and bruising. If these reactions persist for more than one week or if you have any other effects which concern you, seek medical attention as soon as possible. Other possible side effects include hematomas, firmness or bumps at the injection site, staining or discoloration at the injection site, and a weak filling effect. As with any injection of a medical device, there is an associated risk of infection. Cases of tissue damage, abscesses, nodules, and immediate or delayed hypersensitivity after injections have been reported.
If you are considering treatment with JUVÉDERM® products, talk to a doctor who is experienced in the use of JUVÉDERM® and the injection process. Your doctor will determine if JUVÉDERM® is appropriate for you. For any unexpected effects following injection of a JUVÉDERM® product, contact your doctor.